Public & Media Resources/Animal Research
ACNP Statement of Principles on the Ethical Use and Care of Animals for Research, Testing, and Education in Neuropsychopharmacology
This Statement of Principles is intended to serve as an ethical guide for neuropsychopharmacology research and education using animals, performed by the members of the ACNP.
Why is Animal Research Important?
- Translational Neuroscience Accomplishments, Source: Society for Neuroscience
- Animal Research Success Stories, Source: BrainFacts.org
Information about Animal Research
- Americans for Medical Progress (AMP)
- Foundation for Biomedical Research (FBR)
- Speaking of Research (SR)
American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
This site offers numerous public downloads suitable for the classroom, including: Caring for Animals in the Classroom, Together for Life Classroom Calendar, and Careers in Biomedical Research
Policies on the Use of Animals in Research
- Summary of U.S. regulations by Speaking of Research: “Animal Research Regulations in the U.S.”
- U.S. Animal Welfare Act (and regulations implemented by the USDA)
- PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare
- “Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: Eighth Edition” (required for animal research conducted with Publich Health Service funds)
How to prepare for and respond to opposition from animal rights groups?
This page is for ACNP members only for proactive steps/materials and additional information should you become a target of animal rights groups. In the event you, your lab, or your research are targeted by animal rights activists, please contact your institutional representatives immediately. These individuals often are in the Office of the Dean or Vice-Chancellor for Research or the Office of Public Relations. If there is any threat, immediately contact campus and local police.
What Happens in the Brain When People Make Music Together? https://bit.ly/3gw9Rek #mentalhealth #music #Dopamine #Cortisol
The College is now accepting nominations for the ACNP Honorific Awards. The Deadline to submit is June 24th! https://bit.ly/3gajXQX #ACNP2021