Public & Media Resources/Animal Research
ACNP Statement of Principles on the Ethical Use and Care of Animals for Research, Testing, and Education in Neuropsychopharmacology
This Statement of Principles is intended to serve as an ethical guide for neuropsychopharmacology research and education using animals, performed by the members of the ACNP.
Why is Animal Research Important?
- Translational Neuroscience Accomplishments, Source: Society for Neuroscience
- Animal Research Success Stories, Source: BrainFacts.org
- How Animals Played a Key Role in the Development of COVID-19 Vaccines, Source: Americans for Medical Progress
Information about Animal Research
- Americans for Medical Progress (AMP)
- Foundation for Biomedical Research (FBR)
- Speaking of Research (SR)
American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
This site offers numerous public downloads suitable for the classroom, including: Caring for Animals in the Classroom, Together for Life Classroom Calendar, and Careers in Biomedical Research
Policies on the Use of Animals in Research
- Summary of U.S. regulations by Speaking of Research: “Animal Research Regulations in the U.S.”
- U.S. Animal Welfare Act (and regulations implemented by the USDA)
- PHS Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare
- “Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: Eighth Edition” (required for animal research conducted with Publich Health Service funds)
Biomedical Research Awareness Day (BRAD) / ACNP/AMP BRAD Fellowship
Named for Biomedical Research Awareness Day (BRAD), an annual science celebration, this fellowship seeks to raise awareness about the essential role of animal research in neuropsychopharmacology and other related fields. The ACNP/AMP BRAD Fellowship is open to early career scientists in the field of neuroscience, psychology or pharmacology. Applicants must support humane, essential animal research and have a passion for scientific communication and advocacy.
- Learn more about Biomedical Research Awareness Day
- Learn more about the ACNP/AMP BRAD Fellowship
- Support a Scientist is a video series in which scientists discuss their research and the role of animals in their work. The volunteer scientists discuss their research in a way that the public can understand. To see all Support a Scientist videos or to require about being featured, please visit the BRAD Support a Scientist website.
Zoe Donaldson, Ph.D.
Karen Szumlinski, Ph.D.
Selected Educational Resource Papers on the Responsible Care and Use of Animals in Research
How to prepare for and respond to opposition from animal rights groups?
This page is for ACNP members only for proactive steps/materials and additional information should you become a target of animal rights groups. In the event you, your lab, or your research are targeted by animal rights activists, please contact your institutional representatives immediately. These individuals often are in the Office of the Dean or Vice-Chancellor for Research or the Office of Public Relations. If there is any threat, immediately contact campus and local police.
And so #ACNP2022 comes to a beautiful end…
The sun is setting on another great #ACNP2022 … great to be back & see y’all next year!